Macomb County House Cleaners – Dawn to Dusk Cleaning Service (586) 932-4090
If you are in need of top rated Macomb County House Cleaners, please contact Dawn to Dusk Cleaning Service at (586) 932-4090 for a FREE in-home estimate. You can also fill out our estimate form online or Follow Us on Facebook!
When there’s a chill in the air, does your mind go straight to decluttering your house? Probably not, but it should!
Spring cleaning may get all the hype, but fall and winter are actually the best times of year for decluttering your home and garage. After all, no one wants to get cabin fever surrounded by piles of clutter.
You’ll likely be hibernating with Netflix and or want to be curled up by the fire for most of the fall and winter months, but why not take advantage of being stuck inside and use that time to declutter and organize your home? The extra space and order it will bring to your space will help you enjoy being indoors and even get you a head start on preparing for the holidays.
Here are just a few reasons why decluttering in fall and winter are a great idea:
It’s Good for Your State of Mind
With the short days and colder temperatures, it’s easy to feel the wintertime blues. But, having a tidy home can actually cheer us up and make us feel happier and more comfortable.
Seeing clutter in your home has a negative effect on your brain and emotional well being. It makes us feel tired just looking at it. Being surrounded by too much stuff can even make us feel guilty and stressed out. Decluttering will not only clear your living space, it will also help clear your minds, help you to feel more at ease, and help fight off that winter fatigue.
A Clean and Clutter-Free Home is Healthier
Indoor air can be up to five times more polluted than outdoor air, especially when your windows stay closed during the colder months. While we want to keep heating costs down by keeping the cold air out, that means the air we’re breathing indoors isn’t as clean as it should be.
Luckily, there are a number of things you can do to improve your indoor air quality just by decluttering and cleaning! Here are some tips to help instantly improve the air inside your home:
1) Change Your Furnace Filter
When your furnace is constantly running to heat your home, it’s important to make sure you’re always using a clean furnace filter. This can be a easy thing to forget, so set reminders in your smartphone so you know when you need to replace your filter. Here’s a rough guideline as to how often a furnace filter should be changed:
- One-inch thick filters: one – three months
- Two-inch thick filters: two – four months
- Four-inch thick filters or more: three – six months
A clean furnace filter will not only improve the air quality in your home, but it will also improve the efficiency of your furnace, which will save you money.
2) A Good Cleaning Goes a Long Way
When windows are closed and there isn’t a regular outdoor air-flow through your home, dust can collect quickly. It also means germs and bacteria will grow more easily.
If you have stacks of papers, files or boxes just sitting around your home, now is the time to move them into a desk or cabinet, or put them into a sealed plastic container and store it in the garage or storage unit. Anything that isn’t being used on a regular basis is going to be a magnet for dust, so find it a more appropriate spot away from your living area.
Here are a few cleaning tips that will also help keep your indoor air clean:
- Wash and disinfect garbage cans
- Wash or replace toilet bowl brushes
- Clean the dust off the tops of doors and artwork
- Pull out the fridge and stove and give it a good sweep
- Dust window blinds or have curtains or drapes cleaned
- Dust your ceiling fans
- Wash or replace your shower curtain
Pack Away Seasonal Items
You don’t need your lawn furniture, kayak, or blow up pool during the winter months, so declutter your garage by packing seasonal items away in a portable storage unit.
If you don’t have a garage or storage shed, finding space to pack your seasonal items can be a common issue, which is another reason why a portable storage unit is a great option.
You Need the Garage for Your Car
A cold winter doesn’t make parking on the street easy, and scraping snow and ice off windows each morning is no fun. So, if you have a garage, you should be parking your car in it throughout the winter. Not only will it make your mornings easier when you’re trying to get to work, it will also prolong the life of your car.
Chances are your garage has become a storage unit over the summer, so to fit your car in the garage you may have to do some decluttering. That’s where a portable storage unit comes in handy.
Get Organized for Winter
Decluttering in the fall helps you get organized for winter. It seems like a big task, but if you start small and work your way up to major decluttering projects it’s not too difficult!
Here are some areas of your home that could use some organization before the weather drops:
- Your closet. Get rid of anything you are not wearing and pack away seasonal items that you won’t need for the next few months.
- Your basement. Reclaim this space that has likely been filling with old toys, equipment, and furniture.
- Your garage. Junk easily fills up a garage because it is out of site for most of the time, but don’t keep that clutter out of mind! Fall is the perfect time to pare down the mess in your garage.
- Your office. Go through that box of receipts you may need one day, get rid of that broken printer to clear the way for a more productive workspace.
- Your coat closet. Fall is the time to assess your coat selection to see what still fits, what is still in style, and what is still in good condition. That goes for your hat and glove collection too!
- Your kitchen. Check the expiry dates on your canned goods and make sure you have matching lids for all of your Tupperware. source: bigsteelbox.com
For experienced Macomb County House Cleaners, call Dawn to Dusk Cleaning at (586) 932-4090 for a FREE quote.